A Year Later - Life In Advertising & What I've Gleaned From It

By Melissa - Tuesday, November 01, 2016

I never thought this day would come.

Thought that it was a good entree to this post. But, it is more than a catchy line to prompt you to continue reading, it is an actual confession.

I never thought this day would come, because I never imagined surviving a full year in advertising. That’s 52 weeks of mounting pressure, 365 days of madness and 8760 hours of doubting my ability as a copywriter (that’s a story for another day).

Someone wise once said, "If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you." I realise now, one year on, truer words than this have yet to be said.

So, here we are, a year later and by the grace of God, I’ve emerged on the other side with my sanity intact.

Here are 25 things I’ve learned from life in advertising (in no particular order of importance):

1. Passion is everything.

First rule of writing, which changed my life, thanks to the great John Bevins - "If you don’t enjoy writing it, no one will enjoy reading it."

2. Advertising is a jealous lover. Demanding and consuming, but also oh-so-rewarding.

3. Writing short copy is way more difficult than writing lengthy ones (for this copywriter, at least).

4. Relationships are built, not found.

5. Everyone has a story.

6. The ability to function after a 4-hour-a-night sleep (or sometimes, no sleep at all).

One thing to note though, the superpower wears off after 2 weeks (tried and tested, more than once). After effects include a visit to the doctor’s and a lifelong debt to sleep.

7. You will develop a love-hate relationship with the English language.

Copywriters don’t just craft copy with factual and grammatical accuracy, diction and clarity. Our bread and butter is to write words that sell and turn the ordinary into something worth paying hard-earned money for.

There is nothing more frustrating than digging deep for that word and coming up blank. Conversely, when we finally do, I assure you… the symphony of heaven and the choruses of angels will resound all through the land.

8. A story could be told in less than 5 words.

9. Everyone is weird in their own way. Don’t diss it, embrace it.

10. A good sense of humour is the secret to get through just about anything.

Whether if it’s racking my brain for ideas at 3am (after being awake for more than 24 hours) or getting a change of brief from the client a week before the launch, learning to laugh through it all has tremendously improved my mental health, and prevented the sizzling of my brain cells.

11. Nothing inspires me more than a deadline, slated for tomorrow (and a blank .doc page).

12. Work-life balance is non-existent.

I bring my work home all the time, which probably isn't a healthy practice but I do it more often than I’d like to admit.

13. Noise-canceling earphones are a godsend.

The amount of cussing my ears are subjected to on a daily basis is probably more than what a non-advertising person will hear in his / her entire lifetime.

14. Research is mandatory.

15. Inspiration is everywhere.

16. That said, writer’s block is a real phenomenon.

Argue with me on this and see if you’ll come out of this ‘talk’ unscathed.

17. Read more than you write.

18. Never get too attached to your own work.

70% of your first draft will probably get cut out. That’s alright. Your best lines are ahead of you.

19. Begin with the end in mind.

20. Some ideas take time to grow.

21. Being hyper aware of pop culture and marketing trends will inevitably be your second nature.

22. Say what you mean, simply.

23. Digesting any material, and absorbing the information fast are indispensable tools, for a career in advertising and beyond.

24. At times, you just gotta follow your instincts and go for it.

Trust your gut, especially when the brief is inadequate.

25. The why is more important than the what.

With the Internet revolution, people are bombarded with heaps of ads daily. The hallmark of a successful brand is found in a loyal following of consumers who understand the purpose and positioning of the brand. People today are more concerned with why you do what you do, rather than what you’re persuading them to try.

----------


There’s no sugarcoating it - the days are long, the work is hard and the pay is negligible. But, I don't regret any moment of it. More than a great learning experience, working in the country’s top creative agency has exposed me to a diverse range of scenarios that no other industry would be able to afford me.

Also, there is nothing quite like seeing your work live on print, video or on screen every single time; which almost makes the painful parts worth it.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments