Travel Log - Yogyakarta (September 2016)

By Melissa - Monday, October 03, 2016



This trip was long-awaited for two reasons:

  1. I was finally enjoying my birthday present (to me, from me) and it couldn’t have come at a better time - a desperate flee from an ever expanding, increasingly demanding day-to-day schedule.

  2. It was my first ever solo vacation abroad.
The experiences I’ve encountered whilst traveling solo as a woman beckons a separate post, which I will get to in a few days' time.

Now, at this point, you might wonder, "Why Yogyakarta? Surely there are better (and safer) places on the planet for a woman to visit."

I don’t think I’ve ever shared this with anyone, but Indonesia has always held a special place in my heart - as a youth, I traveled annually to Medan for mission trips. If my memory serves me correctly, I was there for four consecutive years.

For the first time in my young life, I was confronted with poverty. Some of the children scurrying around had matted hair and smudged faces. The people whom I met smelled funny, to put it mildly. A few of them had on worn sandals; their feet, noticeably dusty from all the walking. Any time I met someone on the church compound, they would extend both hands in my direction and eagerly greet me; my hands were sticky afterwards and I would rush to the nearest sink to scrub my hands clean, wishing (for the hundredth time that day) I had brought wet wipes. Yet, when they smiled, their eyes sparkled; the twinkle in their eyes, unmistakable. Those four years of mission trips taught me an invaluable lesson which I will forever remember - Who you are defines you, not what you have.

Later on, Work brought me to Jakarta and the pleasure was all mine in making friendships with some of the most generous people I’ve ever met.

So, it made perfect sense to choose another region in this well-loved (for me, at least) country for my inaugural solo adventure.

Here’s a photo diary of my recent trip, along with snippets of stories.   

• I spent most of my time outdoors but I wanted to come back to a clean and comfortable place, so I splurged and booked a room in a reputable 4-star hotel. Can’t say I’m too sorry about the price tag. Just look at the room…..

Novotel Yogyakarta.

Also, top marks to the staff for being immensely accommodating. My late check-out was extended beyond the mandatory 12pm to 3pm, allowing me to rest comfortably before leaving for the airport.


• Whenever I was on any work-related travel, the first order of business after touching down was to head over to a telco counter and purchase a local SIM card with data plan. It was after all, a working trip, and I had to ensure I was connected all the time. It became a habit which seeped into my holiday trips as well. This time around, it took every ounce of self-control to break the habit of checking my phone every 5 mins and really take in my surroundings.




• I would be committing a cardinal sin if I visited Yogyakarta but failed to set foot in the largest stupa in the world. So, I scaled it, TWICE. I brisk-walked through the park, climbed up the steep steps, and reached the highest point with a triumphant look on my face. My victory lasted for less than 30 mins. It began to drizzle, and I scrambled for cover (which was of course located all the way down). I sat under a huge tree and waited it out, experiencing the grandeur of Borobudur from afar. Even then, it still managed to astound me.




• Once the downpour stopped, I hiked up (again) to the highest plateau and gazed ahead. Soon after, the clouds parted and the most glorious of rays streamed through. The snaphot captured hardly does justice to it.




• As a reformed shopaholic, I knowingly selected Yogyakarta, fully aware that it wasn’t a spot with shopping attraction. Since this was the first of firsts, I decided to do something which I wouldn’t normally do and spiced up my itinerary with adrenaline-inducing activities, like hanging from a zip line and hiking (not pictured).




• I left my hotel at an ungodly 4am and arrived at the sand dunes at 5am. It was pitch dark and not a single soul was in sight. I sank my feet into the flour soft sand and stared ahead.



Moments later, the warmth of a new day caressed my skin. In that moment, it was mine to savour, all mine. I soaked up every bit of it, letting the embrace linger for as long as I could.




• Pantai Parangtritis was unlike any beach I've been to. The coal black sand, the ferocious waves and the endless horizon, where sun and sea meet.




• This comes as no surprise, the food was utterly spectacular. I’ve always loved Indonesian cuisine, and it is fascinating to sample the different nuances in flavours from various regions. While Jakarta’s flavours lean more towards the spicy side, Yogya has a sweeter palate. Ever the foodie, my thorough research had me visiting some of the best local spots in town.

Nasi Gudeg with Tauhu, Telur, Opor Ayam and Krecek.

Gudeg - Young jackfruit, stewed with palm sugar, coconut milk and teak leaves (which gives the dish its maroon hue) in a claypot for hours. // Tauhu - Bean curd. // Telur - For this instance, duck egg was used. // Opor Ayam - Kampung chicken cooked in coconut milk. // Krecek - Spicy beef skin stew.


Ayam Goreng Kremes.

Kampung chicken, poached with coconut water, palm sugar and bumbu (ground spice paste that usually includes palm sugar, garlic, shallots and candlenuts). The bumbu sediment strained from the poaching liquid is added into a wok of hot oil, followed by the chicken. The batter automatically cocoons the chicken, resulting in an out-of-this-world plate of fried chicken.


Sego Pecel.

A mound of blanched spinach, bean sprouts and long beans, drenched with smoky-sweet peanut sauce. Simple, yet remarkably gratifying.


Sop.

Yes, Indonesians spell soup without the ‘u’. Indonesia’s take on the ABC soup, but with a beef-based broth.


Nasi Goreng.

Fried rice, Indonesian-style, with marinated pork meat. Yogyakarta is a predominantly Muslim city, so this find was a rare, delicious gem. The portion was enough to feed three small eaters. I tried my utmost best, but failed miserably; I couldn’t even finish half. I did however, nitpick and eat every single piece of meat on the plate.


• The people of Yogyakarta were incredibly kind and courteous. When you’re traveling alone, conversation with passers-by becomes a norm. My BM and minimal command of Bahasa Indonesia were put to very good use. 


• There is so much more to Yogyakarta than ancient historical sites and traditional art museums. One would be remiss to skip out on the many natural wonders in this urban city.

Pine forest.



Shielding me from the evening sun.



Sand dunes.

----------


You'd think this trip cured my wanderlust, but it didn't. If anything, I'm reeling from this trip with a more severe case of it. Only this time, it's the solo adventure kind. Now, if only my bank account responded in kind to my heart's desire.....

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments