A Blessed 'Dinosaur'

By Melissa - Monday, November 08, 2010

Last Saturday in Youth Impact, the younger youths (almost all of them are still in secondary schools) were asked to ‘bless’ the senior youths (or in Youth Impact lingo, the ‘dinosaurs’).

In my years of serving in Youth Impact as a leader, I have never been more blessed and that moment for me has and always will become one of the most significant memories in ministry.

I learnt something so valuable that day, and it will be something I hold onto for the rest of my days.

I learnt that we will never know how far the ripples of our kindness go.

A genuine smile, a quick exchange of words, gentle and supportive words of encouragement, time spent building friendships, time invested in really caring for ONE person makes a world of difference.

I am not referring to the whole shebang - all-out sacrifice, humongous chunk of time spent on counsel, a portion of financial support. Granted and prompted by God to do so will be an honour, but I am talking about day-to-day thoughtfulness and purposeful (random) care – it TOUCHES lives.

I sobbed and sobbed as my youths shared their hearts and recorded their thanks for the aforementioned acts of kindness and care, and how it impacted their lives.

One of the most memorable moment was to hear them say the privilege and honour that God has bestowed upon my life to lead worship in His House - the radical and heartfelt worship that I bring before my King – it aspires them to want to love God with their whole lives, and it invokes in them the reality of the God that we lift up our voices, explosive praise and adoring worship to. (I sobbed even more upon hearing that.)

We will never know how far the ripples of our kindness go. Today’s kindness could change someone’s life tomorrow.

Kindness given may not always be kindness reciprocated, kindness shared might not always be kindness received. Kindness done must not be kindness expected in return.

But I challenge you, you reading this post, DO IT ANYWAY.

For, “your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” – Matthew 6:4 (New International Version).


*


Related post(s):

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments